The first Manor of Tickencote at the time of Domesday (1086) was held
by the Countess Judith. It then passed to the St. Liz family and the
Kings of Scotland until the reign of Henry III in the mid 13th century.
In the History and Antiquities of the County of Rutland dated l684 James
Wright of the Middle Temple notes that in the reign of Edward II, Batiks
Danyes was Lord of Tickencote Manor. He was ‘One of those eminent
persons of this County who received the King's writ of summons to attend
him at Berwick upon Tweed well fitted with horse and armes, from thence
to march against the Scots', presumably at Bannockburn in 1314.
There is a plaque in the church recoding that: 'Sir Anthonye Wingfelde
did bravely fight and dye at Flodden feld (9 September 1513) and over
y Scot did gain y Victorye'. This is the first we hear of the Wingfield
family in Tickencote, however Margaret Lynne inhered the Manor in 1551.
The property passed to her only daughter Elizabeth the wife of John Wingfield.
The Wingfields and Parry-Wingfields have been associated with the village
ever since. Although at the time of Edward III (mid 14th century) the
feudal description of 'the Manor' ceased to have any great significance,
the ownership of the land continued and we find that in 1846 John Muxlow
Wingfield was the owner of all the soil of the parish except three acres
of Glebe land.
The original hall stood a short distance south west of the church. lt
was a well designed early 18th century building in the Italianate style
of the period. By 1950 the large house, like many others, prooved too
costly and inconvenient to maintain and it was pulled down. The stables
were retained and restored and now appear as a handsome mixture of the
Tudor and Queen Anne style.